Masters in Finance Rankings: Financial Times and US News

Published: 8 March 2022 | by Thomas Graf

The US News and the Financial Times published a Ranking for the best Finance Masters.

More precisely, the FT published two rankings: One includes programs for people who just graduated (Pre-Experience Programms) and one includes Finance Masters for people with work experience in Finance (Post-Experience Programmes). In addition, the Financial Times also published a listing of Master in Finance programs.

The FT Master in Finance Ranking 2014 is based on surveys among graduates from 2011, take three years after graduation. Similar to the Master in Management ranking, it applies a multitude of dimensions based on the feedback from universities and alumni, for example:

  • the difference between the salary before and three years after the program
  • how many graduates found an employer three months after the program
  • how international is the board
  • how international are the student cohorts and courses
  • etc.

FT Top Schools for the Master in Finance (Pre-Experience Ranking)

  1. HEC Paris
  2. ESADE Business School
  3. Edhec Business School
  4. Essec Business School
  5. IE Business School
  6. University of St Gallen
  7. University of Oxford: Saïd
  8. ESCP Europe and Università Bocconi
  9. ----
  10. MIT Sloan and Skema Business School
  11. ----
  12. Grenoble Graduate School of Business
  13. Peking University: Guanghua and Stockholm School of Economics
  14. ----
  15. Warwick Business School
  16. Imperial College Business School
  17. City University: Cass
  18. Cranfield School of Management
  19. Nova School of Business and Economics
  20. Frankfurt School of Finance and Management
  21. Boston College, Carroll and Kozminski University
  22. ----
  23. HEC Lausanne
  24. Vlerick Business School
  25. Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University
  26. Eada Business School
  27. Illinois, Institute of Technology, Stuart
  28. Durham Business School
  29. Washington University, Olin
  30. Tulane University, Freeman
  31. Brandeis University International Business School and Henley Business School
  32. ----
  33. University of Edinburgh Business School and University of Strathclyde Business School
  34. ----
  35. Lancaster University Management School
  36. University College Dublin: Smurfit
  37. University of Rochester: Simon
  38. Nottingham University Business School
  39. University of Glasgow: Adam Smith
  40. QUT Business School
  41. Leeds University Business School
  42. University of Bath School of Management
  43. Tilburg University
  44. Universidad Adolfo Ibanez
  45. University of Arizona: Eller

FT Top Schools for Master in Finance programs (Post-Experience Ranking)

  1. London Business School
  2. University of Cambridge, Judge
  3. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
  4. University of Hong Kong
  5. Florida International University: Chapman

Further Information on Master in Finance Programs

Background: Master in Finance

The Master in Finance is a so-called specialized Management Master. In contrast to the Master in Management and the Master of Business who are general management programs, Finance Masters provide you with in-depth knowledge in the specific areas of investment management, corporate finance, and financial analysis. Here are some statistics from our database:

  • About 30 percent of the Master in Finance programs (in our databse) require an undergraduate degree in business-related subjects. The other 70 percent are open for graduates from all disciplines.
  • About 70 percent of the programs (in our databse) are fulltime program while the rest can be studied part-time, for example on a weekly-track, online or through a module structure of residential periods.
  • About 65 percent of the programs (in our database) can be studied within one year. 27 percent can be studied in between one and two years, and only 8 percent take more than two years.

Graduates from Masters in Finance usually can expect excellent career options either in the corporate world, research institutions, the public sector, or non-profit organizations. Some finance programs also offer the opportunity to extend the Master in Finance to the Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) exam. Programs such as the MSc in Finance at the University of Melbourne partner with the CFA Institute, the global association for investment professionals that awards the CFA® designation. The Melbourne Finance Master includes about 70% of the CFA knowledge in its curriculum and offers sample exams so that the students can prepare themselves for the CFA exams in addition to the Master degree.

Further articles on the Master in Finance and Masters in Management

By Thomas Graf