Forum: Application & Admission (4 Comments)

profile evaluation.

  • Posted by - dani - on 6 January 2014 - 11:29am

    I have applied to escp and hec through the sai in 2014 winter session. I have graduated and my gpa is pretty high (slightly less than 4.0) .moreover my gre verbal score is 166. However the quantitative score of the gre is only 156 and the analytical part is only 4. As I am not satisfied with this result i was wandering if it should not be better to retake the gre. However getting prepared again and retaking the exam seems to me a waste of time and money. What do you think about my chance of being declared admissible by the sai?

    • Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 6 January 2014 - 2:22pm

      Hi Daniel,

      thank you for your post. Usually, the most important criterion for these schools is your academic score - which is great in your case. Still I understand your concerns with respect to your GRE quantitiative and analytical score.

      I do think that you may still fulfill the minimum requirements and - together - withe the strong GPA should be invited for the interview. Then, in the interview, you can deliver them another reason why they should accept you for the program. It is not 100% clear, however, and there will be a risk left.

      Therefore, personally, I would just risk it. I think, your chances are still good to be accepted as your GPA is the most important. With an interview, you have even another chance to present yourself. And eventually, you should be accepted at at least one of these schools. Also, you avoid the extra investments for retaking the test.

      This is my personal opinion because of your great GPA. In other cases, when people have a weaker GPA and still want to approach highly-selective schools such as HEC and ESCP, I recommend re-doing the tests. In many cases, I have seen that people improve but recently one. Howver, it may also be that your test score deteriorates when re-taking the test (that's what recently happened to one of the forum users whose GMAT score fell from 650 to 590). So, even re-taking the test is a bit risky and should only be done if you have a strong reason (like a bit weaker GPA) or belief that you improve.

      Again: Not-redoing the test and hoping to pass is risky and you need to be aware of it. But re-doing the test is also risky. It is your decision - but if you ask me for my personal opinion I would wait for the SAI feedback first.

      Best wishes

      By Thomas Graf

      • Posted by - dani - on 6 January 2014 - 5:03pm

        Thank you for your advice.
        I will wait for the SAI feedback, then ! I'll let you know.
        Best wishes

        • Posted by - dani - on 7 March 2014 - 8:40pm

          At the end I was admitted to HEC. I have just posted another issue about accepting the offer.
          Anyway, thanks for your advice.