Asking for advice

Application & Admission
  • Posted by Ayumi93 on 03/21/15 4:53pm

    I would like to ask for an advice about my current situation.

    I am an Italian undergraduate student who is going to graduate in few months in Economics and Business. I have a great interest in the international environment, probably due to my chinese origins, and, according to me, MIM is fullest program since it covers a bit of each field (finance, marketing, HR, etc.). This is the reason why I want to apply to a master in International Management. I am planning to apply for Sept. 2015 intake.

    I have no official work experience even if I've always worked in my family's businesses (restaurant, business company) and I have an average grade of 28.1/30. I have done several experiences abroad (Erasmus program for 5 months, lots of Chinese language summer courses) and I am going to take IELTS test in one week.

    I have already applied to Copenhagen Business School and Grenoble Ecole de Management for the MIB program and I've got accepted for Grenoble's MIB, while I still have a pending application for CBS.

    The problem is that I took the GMAT in order to apply to ESSEC, ESCP and Bocconi but I didn't manage the time properly in the quantitative part and I got really confused; this is why I scored 590 (35Q,35V), which is not too bad for me since I prepared it in 2 weeks, but it is very low for the programs I mentioned above. I know I could score much better in the GMAT test if I'd retake it, but the deadlines are approaching, so I do not have this possibility anymore.

    Since my score has been already sent to these schools, do you suggest me to try sending the applications anyway or accept Grenoble's offer because I do not stand a chance with the others?
    Thank you very much in advance! :)

    • Posted by Thomas Graf on 03/22/15 10:39am

      Hi there,

      your overall thoughts make sense to me: Your decision for a Master in International Management (or Business), your evaluation of the GMAT score (not bad for 2 weeks preparation but too low for highly selective schools), and your doubt upon your decision.

      I also had 590 the first time and scored 660 a month later. A pity that you didn't score 600 as this is often seen as a threshold at some schools. With 590, I don't think you have a chance at ESCP. But I am not sure about Bocconi or ESSEC - with a bit of luck you may still receive an offer there. I do recommend you a different strategy though.

      If I understand correctly, you prefer ESCP, Bocconi or ESSEC over Grenoble, right? I hope you have good reasons for this - if not, please work through my MIM eBook where you develop a target profile of your future master and then compare programs. Now, assuming that you clearly target these 3 schools, here is what I suggest:

      1. Fix a new date for re-doing the GMAT asap (which can be done within a month) and score 600 or more.

      2. Apply for your 3 favorites with your 590 GMAT score and mention in your CV that you re-do the GMAT and that you send the new score soon.

      3. Try to negotiate with Grenoble that you can postpone your decision until you have a response from your 3 favorites.

      If this won't work, you have to decide how important ESCP, ESSEC, and Bocconi really are for you. Is it more important for you to do a MIM right now (even if you do not get accepted from your favorites)? Or is it more important to get accepted from one of these 3 favorites, even if you may need to strat a year later?

      Best wishes

      By Thomas Graf
      Owner MIM Compass
      Author of the MIM eBook

    • Posted by Ayumi93 on 03/26/15 6:08pm

      Thank you very much Thomas for your quick answer!

      I do not want to postpone my master by skipping one year so I will probably accept Grenoble's proposal. I like Grenoble's master, but I can't understand if it is really considered as a good program even if its rank is really high since I can't find any review on internet.
      Between the three universities that I have mentioned before, I really like ESSEC's program because of its flexibility and because I have received several good reviews from some acquaintances. Do you think I should contact ESSEC's staff in order to ask them for a brief assessment just to understand whether it may be worth applying or is it not recommended?
      Thank you very much in advance!

      • Posted by Thomas Graf on 03/27/15 11:06am

        Hi there,

        in my eBook, I always recommend contacting the school and purse some of my communication strategies outlined there.

        For instance, why don't you ask the school to bring you in contact with an alum who you can interview then as for job chances?

        You can also ask the school about some of the key career prospect numbers that I suggest in my eBook (e.g., how many found a job within 3 months of graduaing? etc.).

        In my eBook I also suggest other strategies to check whether a school is helpful for your specific career goals (e.g. whether a school provides contacts to a specific industry etc.).

        Best wishes

        By Thomas Graf
        Owner MIM Compass
        Author of the MIM eBook

        • Posted by Ayumi93 on 04/17/15 3:57pm

          Thank you very much again! I will check it out then! :)

          • Posted by Sara on 08/20/18 9:38pm

            Hi there!

            I was looking some information about the Grenoble MIB and I had the same situation as this student. I would like to ask him, if it is possible, what he did. If he studied at GEM, could you please tell me about your experience? I would like to make the MIB (your same option) but, as well, I couldn´t find any reviews.

            Thank you so much in advance,


  • Posted by thomas.graf on 08/21/18 10:28am

    Hi there,

    please have a look into my eBook "Business Masters - How you find the best Master in Management or MBA" and particularly the section" TALK TO" and "READ" - this gives you valuable tips how you get in contact with students and what other sources you can use to get a "realistic" picture of your future studies.

    Best regards

    By Thomas Graf
    Owner MIM Compass
    Author of the MIM eBook