Forum: Application & Admission (2 Comments)

Applying to MIM in HEC (GMAT 770, CGPA 6.2)

• Posted by - anshulg123 - on 22 September 2016 - 7:40pm

I did my Bachelors in Technology from Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University, Delhi, India. Unfortunately I ended with a low CGPA(6.2) and no extracurricular activities to show (Except one project which I am really proud of). As soon as college ended I decided to follow my dream of learning how to run a successful business.
    I joined my father's business and fell in love with it. I worked there for around 8 months before deciding to learn international business.
    I then joined an US based IT company in Delhi, India in May 2016 as an iOS Developer. I got assigned the role of Business Analyst after one month. Currently working on setting up a new subsidiary for our CEO while also working on a data analysis project.
    I gave my GMAT(770) and learnt French(A1). I love France and have some friends already there and so have decided to study the nuances of international business from HEC or Essec.

-My question is, how much would the low CGPA and lack of extracurricular activities hurt my chances?
    -And would they consider the work I did at my father's as relevant experience considering I was not paid and no official paperwork was filed regarding my employment?

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 23 September 2016 - 11:11am

Hi there,

thank you for your message. For some schools such as the HEC and Masters in Management, the grade is the most important crtiterion when they select their students. But for others (such as IE), the grade is less important and you can compensate other interesting parts of your CV or a strong GMAT (such as yours) for a low grade.

Please read the detailed entry requirements of 54 business schools and their Masters in Management in my eBook "MIM Entry requirements". If you go through each school profile one by one, you can easily see which schools are suited for you and which schools place too much emphasis on the grade.

Having said this... I think the better option for you is the MBA. Depending on what you did for your father''s business over all these years, it may indeed be considered as work experience. Also, in terms of your age, an MBA is better suited as with a MIM you study together with 23 or 24 year old people (and I assume your are older). Plus: For MBA programs, work experience is more relevant than grades.

My recommendation is: (1) Read my eBook and identify schools that place less epmphasis on grades. (2) Contact them and ask them if they would recommend you a Master in Management (and be prepared that some of them recommend you the MBA. (3) Then make a decision what is better for you - a MIM or an MBA.

Best wishes,
      Thomas

By Thomas Graf
      MIM Compass