Forum: School selection (8 Comments)

school selection

• Posted by - ayushisethia - on 12 July 2015 - 2:14pm

hi

my name is ayushi and i have just graduated in B.Sc Mathematics hons(3 yrs)-i got 76% which is 1st class with distinction. i gave the gmat and scored 710. Apart from this i have been a volunteer in an NGO for last 2 years and i am also doing an internship there since march 2015. i studied french and crossed the A1 level and i also have one certification from edx .

i wanted to know if my profile is good for applying to MIM of schools like HEC,LSE because i am thinking of working soon . so should i work for a year and then apply or apply now . Also i would want to know which other schools could i apply to ?

thanks
    ayushi

• Posted by - ayushisethia - on 13 July 2015 - 2:15pm

hi

No i did not that time , though LSE had mentioned about competitive profiles with work experience in their email.

regards
      Ayushi Sethia

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 13 July 2015 - 2:42pm

That's a valuable information. LSE seems to offer not the "typical" MIM as they have 3 months to 5 years of work experience in their admission requirements. Now, 3 months to 5 years is a big range and teh question is what they prefer. Do you want to have a mix of younger and unexperienced students and of more experienced stduents? Do they prefer more experienced ones?

Check my MIM eBook Chapter ANALYZE PROGRAMS to see how you can find out more about the actual program characteristic (e.g., check the student statistics on the website, get in contact with students and alumni and ask them...).

As for the HEC, it is still open why they rejected you.

Why don't you contact both schools and openly say:

1. that you got rejected last year
        2. that you would like to apply again but that yu are unsure if it makes sense
        3. what has changed in your CV since your last application
        4. and if they would recommend you to apply again

Be very polite in your style and express your strong interest in the respective school and program.

Again, read my eBook and follow my recommendations such that you get more infor about the programs and schools. You need more interaction and first hand info - otherwise you keep on digging in the dark.

Best
        Thomas

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 3 August 2015 - 11:03am

Read my MIM eBook already?
          Followed my step-by-step procedure outlined there to find good programs that fit your profile?

Best wishes
          Thomas

By Thomas Graf
          Owner MIM Compass
          Author of the MIM eBook

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 13 July 2015 - 10:00am

Hi there,

I think you have good chances to become accepted at HEC and LSE. I would apply as soon as possible as MIM programs typically target students with no or less than 1 year of work experience. The LSE program is a bit different as it allows for students with between 3 months and 5 years of work experience - but still, I would apply asap.

If you think of other MIM programs, there are hundreds more. I recommend you to read my MIM eBook to learn to identify those programs that help to achieve your career goals most.

Best wishes
      Thomas

By Thomas Graf
      Owner MIM Compass
      Author of the MIM eBook

• Posted by - ayushisethia - on 2 August 2015 - 6:06am

hi thomas

So I did send emails to HEC and LSE

LSE has the policy that rejected applicants cannot apply in the consecutive year, so LSE is out for this year.

HEC has not replied to my email , however I can apply again this year .

Also I want to add that I have got through ISB YLP , so since I have that , what programs do you think I should consider that would be better than that .

Regards
        Ayushi

• Posted by - ayushisethia - on 13 July 2015 - 12:56pm

Hi

thanks for your reply .

last year when i was still pursuing the final year of my graduation , i had applied to both HEC AND LSE , though i had applied late , somewhere around mid-january and got rejected.

My CV did'nt have all the things i mentioned above that time , so i want to be sure since i don't know the reason for my rejections.

regards
        Ayushi Sethia

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 13 July 2015 - 1:51pm

Hi there,

well, I don't know about your situation last year and I cannot guarantee you to get selected. I can only say:

• if you have a first degree with a top grade (which is what you said)
          • if you have a very good GMAT score with 650 or more (you have 710)

Then you fulfill formal requirements to become eligible. If you also speak some French (as for HEC) and have other interesting experiences (NGO), this makes you interesting.

Whether the schools accept you or not depend on many other things, however. For example, on an interview, on your application letter, essays, references or whatever.

Did you ask the schools last year about their reasons? I mean, isn't that the most obvious thing to do...?

Thomas