Forum: School selection (11 Comments)

help needed---School Selection

• Posted by - prasi - on 18 March 2014 - 4:34pm

Hello,

I have been reading up a lot on this very informative website thumbs up on the good job.

I have no much Idea on which schools i should be applying, Kindly request you to Suggest some schools where i have a good probability (Safe as they say) of selection

My GMAT score:660

Indian 23 :

School grades:90%

Pre university : 75%

University Education :Engineer Electronics and Communication
    grade:67% topper scores 84%

IELTS: 8.0

Internships: International : University Internship in Dubai On an Electronics Project
    Local : Was an Intern at a Start up company in Bangalore India Electronic Company
    Both internships lasted for 3 months.

Recruited out of college
    Work Exp: 1 yr at TCS Software Firm (fortune 500 comp)---- Within that one year i worked at 3 diff locations across India

Extra curriculars: Rotary youth leader award
    NGO activist strongly associated with an NGO from my childhood
    Institute of Engineers Student chapter rep for my college
    Hosted NATIONAL level Tech seminar conferences etc
    National Cadet Corps Air wing Best CAdet in 2006 Awarded at Delhi

My Aim: Msc In finance or general management course

Looking for Tier 2 colleges, colleges where I have a good chance of selection

Thank you in Advance for your time and Response

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 20 March 2014 - 9:35am

Hi everybody,

with a GMAT of 660 you fulfill more than the minimum requirements of most MIM programs and fulfill the minimum requirements even at the top-ranked schools. This means: If a school does not grant you admission, the GMAT was not the problem.

Best wishes
      Thomas

To search for and analyze MIM programs, read my ebook: 'Roadmap to your Master in Business Degree 2014'

By Thomas Graf

• Posted by - prasi - on 20 March 2014 - 12:42pm

hi Thomas I've already bought your book also downloaded the survey, I had heard some where that the Avg Gmat score for "Indian" applicant is higher than the class avg so i had to search here for help after replies from you and ojas03 also MIM applicant I think Im good to go, thanks guys will post again after selection

Thanks Thomas for your time and my feedback on your book will be posted soon

• Posted by - MIMAPPLICANT - on 20 March 2014 - 9:13am

Hello,

No I dint apply to Great Lakes, since MiM was my first choice.
      My suggestion at this time would be to contact the various admissions coordinator from schools you find interesting and discuss your profile with them, that will give you a better idea as to where you stand.

All the best for your applications :)

• Posted by - prasi - on 20 March 2014 - 4:26am

Thank you MIM applicant---One last question since you are an Indian had you applied for great lakes one year program its my first preference before any MIM and i would like to get an estimate of selection chances

Thank you ojas03 I will contact the school support committee and check out their application process on the website thanks for the suggestion

I would like to know how one can be prepared for the interview i maintain a daily log where i keep adding points to answers like why MIM ,career plans after MIM, Change from Engineering track to masters etc anything more you would like to share will help me .

Also ojas03 could you list a couple more suggestions for colleges, would you agree with MIM applicant on her suggestion of colleges

• Posted by - ojas03 - on 19 March 2014 - 9:46pm

With your current profile and score, I think Essec should be your best option right now. Good college, good opportunities, a good community life.
      Work hard on your application, choose wisely which part of your profile you want to highlight in your application and be clear about your goals. The Essec interview is a very good experience. If you plan to apply, let me know if you want details about my application process and the interview.

• Posted by - gaurav9992 - on 2 October 2014 - 9:01am

Hey can you help with the interview questions and your overall experience

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 2 October 2014 - 11:03am

Hi there,

read this Forum Post in Interviews and Preparation already?

Best wishes
          Thomas

By Thomas Graf
          Owner MIM Compass
          Author of the MIM eBook

• Posted by - MIMAPPLICANT - on 19 March 2014 - 8:14pm

Yes,

My profile very similar, I am a female Indian engineer, GMAT 660, IELTS - 8.5 , a few international internships and about an year of experience in Marketing.
      I would really suggest you to talk to the admissions coordinators from these schools, and share your profile, that will certainly give you a better picture of things .

All the best :)

• Posted by - prasi - on 19 March 2014 - 1:57pm

Thank you MIM APPLICANT

i am EXHAUSTED from gmat prep i tried and tried i started with a 430 score i reached 660 i don think i can go any further this is exactly why im asking people to help me select a Good B school that's all i need a good school,
      i
      f u really think i have a shot at EMLYON,SKEMA etc then i'm really really happy

your words encourage me to apply sooner

Also since you related your profile as similar to mine and since you already hold offers from good schools im encouraged even more

Thank you once again

• Posted by - MIMAPPLICANT - on 19 March 2014 - 12:47pm

Hey,

I had a very similar profile, but I wanted to pursue Masters in general management or Business Analytics, and I was able to secure admissions in EMLYON , EDHEC in France and Schulich in Canada.

Following is what I would suggest you

1. Re-take GMAT if you can, a score over 700 would really help, though its nots very important.
      2. If you choose to apply with your current GMAT score then a lot of French B-Schools like ESSEC, Emlyon, EDHEC, skema are your safest bet . You can apply via SAI.
      3. Ms Finance in Schulich is also a good option.

Regarding Rankings in Finance you can search the FT ranking here - http://rankings.ft.com/home/masters-in-finance