Forum: Application & Admission (4 Comments)

Profile Evaluation

• Posted by - sid23 - on 3 May 2014 - 8:15am

Hey,
    I needed a quick review about my MIM profile. I would be glad if u could help.
    I am a 21 year old male from india studying in final year of my btech CSE from Manipal University, India , I hold a CGPA of 7.65/10 and expect a GMAT score of something around 670.
    Some of my major achievements are:

1. I have played east zone chess in under -19 age group.
    2. Won a district level debate competetion
    3. Represented my university internationally in a team event and got laurels by gaining a score of 8/10 in our report.
    4. Worked in an NGO for an year in college
    5. Part of managing team in cultural committee of my college fest

• Posted by - kmba - on 11 May 2014 - 11:36pm

Hi Thomas,

Well, I have been pestering you for the past one year although I have just completed my 2nd year in a four year engineering course (:P) .. sorry for too much questions. But again I cant keep out from asking questions.
      I would request you to evaluate my profile as of now.

CGPA: 6.8/10 ... as a number this looks like a low cgpa.. But then in my university this is a first class CGPA. Suggestion needed on this part.

GMAT- determined to get 700+ ... have been scoring 680+ in mock tests and I am planing to take my GMAT in JAN 2015. So still I have a lot of time to prepare.

Extra Curriculars

Founder and CEO of a startup organisation (zero investment) which is gaining momentum and we are making decent profits. Is this considered as a work experience because most of my target universities doesn't take people with more than 1 year of work exp.

As of now Two Internships.. One as a client relations management intern in one of the top 4 insurance firms in India and the other one is a marketing Internship from one of the top three Tractor manufacturing firms in India. One more thing is some people say that it is good to have as many internships as possible during undergrads. But Some other people say that too many internships is looked down upon and a maximum of two internships is to be maintained. Suggestion needed on this part.

Secretary of The Wall Street Club (finance) club in my college.

Working on a online trading based paper along with a friend of mine which should be ready in another couple of months.

Apart from these (I am in a dilemma of whether to include the following in my application as I think that this might look extra stuffed)

I have attended 3 Model united Nations conferences representing the delegations of various countries.
      Quizzer during my school time and have won a lot of quiz competitions.
      Business director of a web startup which failed after one year of decent reach though no profits were made.
      Active member of the Entrepreneurship Development Club of my college
      Have organised a lot of events which includes a Technical workshop which was attended by over 1000 Engineering students from all over the country.

Hereby I request you to kindly evaluate my profile assuming that I score a 700 in my GMAT and a overall cgpa of 7.2/10 by the time I start applying.

My target schools in the order of preference

1. LBS
        2.Michigan Ross MiM - first intake Sept 2014.
      2. Duke Fuqua - MMS FOB
      3. Dartmouth Tuck
      4. Virginia Darden ( 4th and 5th, MiM programmes are expected to start by 2015)
      5. ESCP
      6. HEC
      7. ESSEC
      8. Rotterdam School of Management
      9. Hult Business School

You may see that in spite of the FT rankings, the new programmes in USA have topped my preference list. That is because I prefer working in USA to Europe. However I would like you to give feedbacks on applying for the new programmes as all those are great universities. But then again they are NEW programmes.

Thanks in Advance.

To add that this website is helping a lot of students these days. The best educational forums I have ever seen. Keep going. (tu)

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 12 May 2014 - 12:02am

Read my my ebook 'Roadmap to your Master in Business Degree' already? Here you learn how to find programs that fit your profile, to compare and analyze programs, and finally select the right program.

best wishes
        Thomas

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 6 May 2014 - 12:30pm

Hi there.

I recommend you to read carefully my ebook 'Roadmap to your Master in Business Degree'. Here I describe my methodology to approach Masters in Management, to match them to your own profile, and to make sure that you make a good decision when you actually choose a program.

Best wishes
      Thomas

By Thomas Graf