Forum: School selection (2 Comments)

profile evaluation

• Posted by - a4anand - on 27 November 2015 - 10:38pm

hi thomas
    i recently took gmat and scored 690(q50 v33 ir3). i am interested in MIM courses, but i am not content with my gmat score.i am not sure if it is good enough. my target schools are duke,lbs,escp and hec paris. my profile:
    -recenly completed b.tech(marine engineering) from india's best maritime college with the aggregate of 69% (a bit low).
    -sailed onboard two ships as junior engineer during 5 and 1/2 month internship and ended up with a job offer.
    -participated, assisted and done various maintenance and operational jobs during sailing period. other than assisting on these jobs i was incharge of waste oil management and inceneration during sailing and anchorage. waste oil management is a big deal as there are great consequences if not complied with maritime laws and company policies.
    -i have experience of working in team with people of different nationalities and culture. i have been to many countries and seen their port practices.
    -have been through complete paramilitary training during college
    -build a working model of fire fighting ship
    -done kickboxing at district level
    -have attended some technical workshop such as robotics workshop

• as a part of my training i have some experience in handling and managing my junior cadets.

i want to apply in second round,but i am not sure if i have a shot at my target schools. low ir score is also a bit detterent. should i consider retaking gmat and apply in 3rd round?

regards
    Anand

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 30 November 2015 - 11:11am

Hi Anand,

I think hat at this point in time you need more knowledge about what Business Schools expect from their MIM applicants.

There are several ways to build up that knowledge as I describe in the Chapter "Resources" in my "Business Masters" eBook (e.g., ask the school tobring you in contact with current students and skype them).

But the easiest and most effective way for you may be to read my eBook "The MIM - Master in Management Entry Requirements". There you find the direct answers of 54 international business schools who filled out my online survey on what they expect from MIM aplicants and how they select them (e.g., What's your most important criterion forr selecting a MIM student? What's your minimum and average GMAT score? Would you recommend to redo the GMAT or to apply when someone has a lower GMAT score that is still in your range?).

Best wishes
      Thomas

By Thomas Graf
      Director MIM Compass
      Author of the MIM eBooks