Forum: Application & Admission (8 Comments)

Profile Evaluation

• Posted by - Omarmokh - on 30 September 2014 - 2:50pm

Hello

I am currently applying for the following schools:
    HEC PARIS
    ESCP EUROPE
    EMLYON
    SKEMA
    AUDENCIA NANTES
    ESSEC
    BOCCONI
    EDHEC

This my profile:

French-Egyptian (lived all my life in Egypt), 23
    Fully fluent in French, Arabic and English
    BSc. Architectural Engineering (5 years); AUC (Egypt)(QS ranking #348)
    GPA= 3.41 (Honors)
    GMAT= 710 Q49 V38 (may have scored slightly higher but overall I’m satisfied)
    7 months at a top 20 contracting company, in construction management
    3 months doing site engineering at a large local contracting company
    Two one-month internships at top 10 real estate developer and project management consultant respectively
    4 consecutive years of extracurriculars in the student government, student newspapers, entrepreneurs’ society, mentoring students and in other more minor roles

In general, I am worried about my GPA so I would like to know what my chances are with regards to the aforementioned schools and possibly get some feedback from people who got in those schools. This is just so I can gauge how realistic my applying to those schools is and whether I need to review my choices. So far my picks were made after reviewing the programmes structure and flexibility in terms of exchange opportunities, incorporation of work experience and reputation.

I would be truly grateful for any advice or insights.

Cheers
    O.

• Posted by - Omarmokh - on 11 October 2014 - 5:36pm

Hey Thomas,

I am glad to tell you that I just submitted my application for SAI schools. Fingers crossed! :)

Quick question: does not getting invited for an interview automatically mean not getting accepted? If not, what happens? And does one know at the interview stage which schools shortlisted them?

Cheers
      O.

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 13 October 2014 - 11:48am

Hi there,

you ask very specific question related to the SAI process. Why don't you contact the responsible people directly and simply ask?

Best wishes
        Thomas

• Posted by - Omarmokh - on 10 October 2014 - 8:26am

You make a good point.

How about choosing between SAI admissions sessions (Autumn, Winter etc...), are there any inherent trends? For example, are some known to be more competitive for example? What's your general advice about selecting the session to apply in or is the earlier the better simply?

Cheers
      O.

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 10 October 2014 - 10:53am

Hi there,

in general (whether within SAI or at schools' own admissions process), I would apply as early as possible. Less because of greater chances but rather because receiving an early decision allows me to apply somewhere else.

No one can tell you the chances of the seasons. Maybe there are differences but this may differ from school to school. Maybe in some year youhave greater chances in the begining because the school has extended their capacities and speeds up the admissions acceptance. Maybe for another school or in another year you have better chances in the end when the school has still places to fill and lacks applications.

Therefore, I would ignore these tactic questions. Either you have the profile to get in or not. If not you apply somewhere else.

Best wishes
        Thomas

By Thomas Graf
        Owner MIM Compass
        Author of the MIM eBook

• Posted by - Omarmokh - on 4 October 2014 - 9:48am

Thank you for your reply Thomas.

I am going through a second read of your book but, in the meantime, I was wondering: if 710 is the average GMAT at a top school like HEC, under what circumstances (other than a stellar GPA) could a student with -say- a top 10-15% GPA and/or a 670 GMAT be admitted there?

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 6 October 2014 - 1:39pm

Hi there,

this si a specific question that no one can answer you with certainty. It may depend, for instance, on the total quality of applications that a school (such as HEC) receives in a specifc year. If a school has 80 study places and receives only 65 applications with the "ideal" quality (e.g. in terms of academic achievement), then the school may relax the criteria for the other 15 places a bit.

Personally, I find this question irrelevant to be honest. You have your profile and you apply at the schools that you put on your shortlist. If you get admission, great! If not you apply somewhere else. Why worry about things you can not influence anyway?

Best wishes
        Thomas

By Thomas Graf
        Owner MIM Compass
        Author of the MIM eBook

• Posted by - Thomas Graf - on 30 September 2014 - 5:45pm

Hi there,

have you read my MIM eBook already? I suggest that you do this first (and thoroughly). It will teach you the fundamental knowledge about Masters in Management (MIM) and also provides you with a methodology how to identify quality programs, compare programs, and finally identify programs that fit your profile.

It will also help you put the specific aspects of your profile (such as GPA, GMAT, etc.) in context. Overall, I am confident that you will get admissions at some of the mentioned schools. For some of them (such as HEC) the grade in the previous studies is a key criterion - you know better than I if you belong to the top5%, top10%, or top15% etc. of your class; "honors degree" sounds promising to me, however.... For these schools, a GMAT of 710 wil be average - average means, however, that it will not kick you out. Other schools are less selective regarding the GPA o rthe GMAT.

I would follow the methodology of the MIM eBook, however, and screen these programs such that you end up with 3, 4 or 5 programs where you eventually apply. This final shortlist should include the programs that help you most achieve your career and learning goals. Finally, I recommend you to read specifically the PRACTICAL TIPS part at the end of the book - here you learn how to get direct information on programs, such as the requirements or the admissions process but also on the career impact and student satisfaction.

Best wishes
      Thomas

By Thomas Graf
      Owner MIM Compass
      Author of the MIM eBook